This is the last major piece of fibre glassing - the inside of the deck. I trimmed the bottom of the coaming first with a saw and then an electric file - not a very enjoyable job, but it came out OK, I think.
I have stopped obsessing, and have ordered the kit from Fyne Boats. My garage is just long enough for the build (I hope), and the garden shed is just big enough to accommodate the completed kayak (I hope). The finished craft should look something like the photo.
I've unpacked the two boxes. Everything's here including wood, epoxy, fibreglass and all the fittings. The kit included a drain plug for one bulkhead, and a hatch cover for the other (unexpectedly). All the wood is marine ply, spruce (carlins, seat slats) or mahogany (rub rails). I ended up with a huge pile of cardboard from the packaging. The boat is quite big. I know exactly how big from all the photos, plans etc., but it now looks especially big in my garage. I have set up a long 'bench' down the middle of the garage - basically some lengths of 2" x 4" wood clamped between some saw benches. I have dry fitted the floor (base, bottom) of the boat and there is just enough room. I may have to 'borrow' some space from the end cupboard if I want to get around the ends (stern...bow..) at all. The first step is going to be gluing the two halves of the floor together - my first adventure with resin, hardener and cab-o-sil (I think that is what's in one ...
Comments
Post a Comment